Frequently Asked Questions

Below, please find list of questions that are frequently asked (about a given topic) along with their answers.


 How do I get water service in my name?

Please stop in to City Hall at your earliest convenience to fill out an Application for Service to put water and sewer service into your name.  


All renters (residents or businesses), regardless of credit or customer history, are required to place a $125 deposit with the City of Jesup to obtain City services.  An account will not be created for a renter until a deposit has been paid.

Water/Sewer Service Application


 How can I pay my utility bill?

Your utility bill can be paid by cash, check, money order, electronic funds transfer or by debit/credit card.  

Payment may be made;

  • In person at City Hall, 791 6th Street
  • By drop box, at City Hall, 791 6th Street
  • Through the mail
  • Through electronic funds transfer
  • Click here to pay by credit/debit card


Automatic Withdrawal Form

 Need assistance paying your water bill?


Buchanan General Assistance  319-334-7450
Operation Threshold  319-334-6081
One Another (First Presbyterian Church Independence, IA) 319-334-3523
Jesup Bible Fellowship 319-827-6231
Jesup Ministerial Association  319-827-6682



 Understanding your utility bill.

Water / Sewer

  Residents are billed monthly

  • Bills are sent out on or before the 6th day of each month.
  • All bills are due by the 20th of each month or the next business day if the office is closed on the 20th.    
  • A penalty is assessed to each account, greater than $30.00, if not paid by the 20th.  A notice of delinquency is sent on the last day of each month.  The account holder is then given an additional 10 days to make payment on the account before disconnection of services occurs.  Shut-off notices will be posted at the residence on the 10th of each month.
  • If you have not received your bill or feel you have received a notice of delinquency in error, please contact the City Clerk at 827-1522.
  • The City of Jesup does offer automatic withdrawal from your checking or savings.  The City also accepts advance payments on accounts via written check, cash or money order.


Bills include the following MINIMUM charges:

            Water                          $  12.01

            Sewer                          $  31.18

            County fee                   $   1.00

            In addition to the minimum charges listed above, your bill will also include charges for:

            Water used     $4.30/thousand gal of water for the first 25,000 gal

            Sewer used     $6.70/thousand gal of water for the first 25,000 gal

            Water tax       (6%)


 I think I have a water leak!

Check the Water Meter

  1. Turn off all of your water inside and outside of your home, but leave your shutoff valve open.
  2. Locate your water meter (usually located in the basement or a crawl space).
  3. The meter will have a red dial or triangle on its face.
  4. If this is moving at all, and you are certain no water is running, you have a water leak.

 Read the Water Meter

  1. Just before going to bed, or when no one will use any water for several hours, write down the numbers on the face of the water meter.
  2. Take another meter reading in the morning before any water is used, or after a few hours of non-usage.
  3. In theory, these two readings should be the same. If they are not, and you cannot account for use by a humidifier, ice cube maker, toilet flush, or water softener, you have a leak and further investigation is recommended.


Leak Sources

From our experience, ninety percent of the leaks in residential plumbing systems are found at the toilet tank. Generally, toilets leak at the bottom of the tank around the flapper plug or at the top of the tank at the overflow tube. Leaks typically result from worn parts or from misalignment of some part of the flushing mechanism. 

Check the Toilet Flapper

  • Put a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank.
  • Watch the bowl for about 15 minutes.
  • If colored water appears in the bowl, you have a leak.

 Check the OverflowValve

  • Sparingly sprinkle powder on top of the water in the tank.
  • If the powder moves toward the overflow tube, you probably have an overflow leak.

Toilets are notorious for their silent leaks. A toilet that overflows just one gallon every five minutes will waste 288 gallons of water per day or 8,640 gallons per month. We recommend that each homeowner familiarize themselves with their home water system.

Other Leak Sources
It is possible to have water leaking in other places: sink faucets, water softeners, plumbing, water heaters, dishwashers…..anywhere water runs could be a potential source.  If you are unable to locate a leak on your own, we always recommend contacting a licensed plumber. 

 How can I pay my buidling permit, ambulance payment, parking ticket, or library fines/fees/copies?

Your building permit, ambulance payment, parking ticket, or library fines/fees. copy fees can be paid by cash, check, money order or by debit/credit card. 

Payment may be made:

  • In person at City Hall, 791 6th Street
  • By drop box, at City Hall, 791 6th Street
  • Through the mail
  • Click here to pay by credit/debit card



 How do I get an outside water meter?

Installing a second water meter specifically for outdoor watering may be beneficial as outside water meters are not subject to sewer charges. The City will provide a meter. However, you must hire a plumber to install and connect the meter to your outside faucets. There is an additional charge of $2.39 each month for the second meter.  Please contact City Hall at 319-827-1522 to make arrangements for this installation.


  • The Water Department MUST be notified for inspection and connection of the meter box.
  • Meter is to be set horizontally.
  • Must be double-valved 6-inces from meter.
  • Outside meters can be connected ONLY to outside wall faucets.


 Please contact the Water Department with any questions you may have:  

City of Jesup

Public Works Director


 My water is cloudy. Is it safe to drink?

Commonly in the winter, you will notice that your drinking water appears cloudy. Milky water, also commonly described as cloudy, hazy, soapy, or foamy, is almost always caused by air in the water. To see if the white color in the water is due to air, fill a clear glass with water and set it on the counter. Observe the glass of water for two or three minutes. If the white color is due to air, the water will begin to clear at the bottom of the glass first and then gradually will clear all the way to the top. This is a natural phenomenon and is completely normal; the water is safe to use.

 I don't think my water meter is working correctly.

There are some concerns from time to time about the accuracy of the water meters. The City of Jesup uses positive displacement meters. That means water has to enter the chamber to make the disk move and record any usage.  It is impossible for this type of meter to register more usage than what has been used within the home.

Most cases of high water usage involve leaks within the home. Leaks waste a tremendous amount of water.  A toilet flapper leak, overflow leaking or a dripping faucet can easily waste thousands of gallons of water each month.  This excessive usage can add up quickly.  Finding the leaks and repairing them saves not only water, but also money.

 I think I have a sewer backup.

Sewer back-ups occur, despite the best of maintenance programs.

The vast majority of sewer back-ups occur from circumstances beyond the control of the City or the property owner. Here’s what you can do:

Investigate as soon as you can if you notice floor drains backing up or slow drains. Fast attention to these problems may prevent or lessen the severity of a back-up.

  • Contact City Hall at 319.827.1522 (Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm)
  • AFTER HOURS & WEEKENDS: Jesup Police Department at 319-415-1919
  • City personnel will respond to your request as soon as possible to check if City lines are plugged.
  • If the problem is not in the City line, it may be in your private line.
  • Contact a licensed plumber as soon as possible.
  • Contact your home owner’s insurance representative.

 My water pressure seems low. Who should I call?

If the problem is limited to a single faucet, try unscrewing the faucet aerator.  Rinsing or replacing clogged or corroded screens and parts could solve your problem. 

If the problem is that the supply lines feeding a branch are too small, you may need to increase the pipe size.

If the problem is inadequate flow to the entire house, you may need to increase the size of the main supply pipe from the water meter to the house.

For other concerns, please contact the City Hall at 319-827-1522, Monday-Friday (8:00am - 4:30pm).

 Who do I contact if I think there is a water main break in my neighborhood?

Water mains are most prone to breaking as winter approaches and the ground begins to freeze and in the spring as the frost goes out of the ground.  This is generally due to ground movement.

Any time you see water running out of the ground, through cracks in the pavement, or from behind curbing please call the City of Jesup at 319-827-1522.

After hours or weekends please contact the Jesup Police Department at 319-415-1919.

 How can I request public records?

Public record requests should be directed to City Hall.  Please make the request specific to assist staff in providing the desired information.  Staff may take up to ten business days to research the request and respond.  
This is the official website for the City of Jesup, Iowa